#1 rgr738

rgr738

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Logic User Since:2010

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

I'm a noob here - running Logic Express (8) on a three year old Intel Imac (OSX 10.4).

I do indie rock to alt-country and singer-songwriter kind of stuff. I'd love to be able to mic real drums, but I don't have the space. Used to record them back in the day, but haven't for at least a decade. Slowly getting back into recording and learning the computer way of working. A bit of a learning curve there to say the least! I did pick up the Nahmani book to get me started.

So, some sort of in the box thing is needed for drums. I can't see myself using the supplied loops. I've just started trying out Ultrabeat and find the tones wanting (not much in the way of acoustic drum tones with Express).

So, I want to know what my options are. My understanding is that 2 gigs of RAM is not going to cut it with things like BFD or Addictive drums. I'm aware of EZ drummer. And Steven Slate. I'm sure there are others. But I only have a vague idea of how they work, and their respective advantages and disadvantages.

I'd just like to know if there are viable workarounds for BFD or Addictive. (Also should mention that I don't have a ton of hard drive space either - I think the external drive has about 200 gbs and the Imac about a third of that). I'm not a drum programmer - i hate programming drums. So, ease of use is also a factor. Also, V drums could be a possibility. But I know squat about them as well and drum replacement and all that stuff.

I think right now I'm leaning towards EZ drummer - due to my lack of RAM, the supposedly better interface on it, and the fact that the drums sound decent.

But I don't really know enough about this stuff to even know what I don't know. If you know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Geoff

#2 Scorpii

Scorpii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Logic User Since:2007

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hi,Geoff.

I've just joined this forum. I've got a macbook pro 17" 2.16G/2G 100G HD running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. and Logic 8.0.2.

There are a few options for you. I have BFD 2 with all the sample libraries stored on an ext HD. I've got an esata card plugged in the express card slot and stream the BFD samples from there. It works fine with a 1 kick, snare & hi-hat and 6 toms and 6 cymbals. That kit uses about 1.3G ram. I also had the same kit running via firewire 800 streaming the ext HD without problems.

I'm a guitar player so I don't load a lot of of samples or things like Kontakt. You can also freeze your drum tracks and logic will make an audio copy of the drum tracks so you don't need the samples to run.

Another option is the EXS 24 sampler. That's part of logic pro but I don't know if express has it. Anyway, that has samples of real drum kits, among a lot of other stuff. I use the rock kit, but there are others like jazz kit, etc. The samples are not as detailed as BFD but they sound great. That's a way to cut the memory overhead.

BFD etc is about $ 400 Australian, EZ maybe cheaper. Either of those might be more expensive than an upgrade to logic pro from logic express. If you decide to get BFD or Addictive I suggest you get an ext HD and put all the samples on it. The load on the system drive [and the space required] make putting them on the internal HD impractical.

If you need any further info, write back on the forum. It should be transferred to my email.

Take care, rock on.

Scorpii.

I'm a noob here - running Logic Express (8) on a three year old Intel Imac (OSX 10.4).

I do indie rock to alt-country and singer-songwriter kind of stuff. I'd love to be able to mic real drums, but I don't have the space. Used to record them back in the day, but haven't for at least a decade. Slowly getting back into recording and learning the computer way of working. A bit of a learning curve there to say the least! I did pick up the Nahmani book to get me started.

So, some sort of in the box thing is needed for drums. I can't see myself using the supplied loops. I've just started trying out Ultrabeat and find the tones wanting (not much in the way of acoustic drum tones with Express).

So, I want to know what my options are. My understanding is that 2 gigs of RAM is not going to cut it with things like BFD or Addictive drums. I'm aware of EZ drummer. And Steven Slate. I'm sure there are others. But I only have a vague idea of how they work, and their respective advantages and disadvantages.

I'd just like to know if there are viable workarounds for BFD or Addictive. (Also should mention that I don't have a ton of hard drive space either - I think the external drive has about 200 gbs and the Imac about a third of that). I'm not a drum programmer - i hate programming drums. So, ease of use is also a factor. Also, V drums could be a possibility. But I know squat about them as well and drum replacement and all that stuff.

I think right now I'm leaning towards EZ drummer - due to my lack of RAM, the supposedly better interface on it, and the fact that the drums sound decent.

But I don't really know enough about this stuff to even know what I don't know. If you know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users