12 replies to this topic

#1 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Logic User Since:2007

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

I am trying to connect Logic Pro to Pure Data via midi. I have enabled the IAC Busses in Audio Midi Setup.

I then connected the IAC Buses to a monitor in the environment to make sure that the midi doesn't loop.

Next I created an external midi channel, and sent it out of the IAC Bus. I programmed in a sequence and pressed play.

Using Midi Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/). I checked what Logic was sending out of the IAC Bus, and for some reason it is playing every note as 80, even though the sequence that I have programmed in is much more complicated.

Does anyone know why this is? I have tried every single midi setting I can find in Logic!

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

#2 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Audio Engineering / Composition
  • Logic User Since:2009
  • Audio Software Used:Logic Studio

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Using Midi Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/). I checked what Logic was sending out of the IAC Bus, and for some reason it is playing every note as 80, even though the sequence that I have programmed in is much more complicated.

It's hard to know exactly without more information, but I'll make a guess based on some work I did a decade ago that included writing MIDI data. "80" in this context may refer to the "Note Off" MIDI message for channel 1. The hexadecimal bytes 0x80 to 0x8F signal that the note it is associated with should stop playing. So, you may be seeing only the "Note Off" messages. "Note On" is 0x90 to 0x9F; you should be seeing those too unless you are somehow filtering them out in your view. I don't know a thing about Midi Monitor, so I'm just making a hunch that I hope may be useful.

Here is the Midi Specification for more details. I had to look that up; my memory is hazy from yesterday, much less from the year 2000. A few synapses still fired, though, and I hope they haven't sent you in the wrong direction!
Logic Studio 9 | Kontakt 5 | 8Dio Studio Violin | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 2.53 GHz Mac mini | 4 GB Ram | Mackie MR5 | Sennheiser 600HD | Korg MR2 | Korg nanoPad and nanoKontrol | Oxygen25 | Kawai ES4 | Taylor T5 | Taylor NS42-CE | Jimmy Vaughn Fender Stratocaster | L.R. Boggs Para Acoustic D.I. | Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

#3 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Not sure if I can make any sense of that, I forgot how complicated midi could be. 80 appears to be the on value, and is sent every time that there is a note. Although that link states that 80 is on and 90 is off a number 80 comes up in the transport bar every time a note plays, on the right of the note value itself, and it appears that that value is what is being sent not the value of the note itself. At least it would make sense that that is what is happening.

Any other ideas anyone?

Edited by hyperacid, 02 December 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#4 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post above. That link states that 8 (or perhaps 80) is off and 9 (or perhaps 90) is on. 80 appears to be the on value however in my case, and as I said above, comes up in the transport bar every time a note plays instead of a value between 0 and 127 corresponding to the note pitch. The note also comes up to the left of the value 80, so I can tell that Logic is reading the notes, but it is sending them all out as 80!

#5 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Is there somewhere you can post your MIDI file? I could analyze the data in a hexdump.
Logic Studio 9 | Kontakt 5 | 8Dio Studio Violin | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 2.53 GHz Mac mini | 4 GB Ram | Mackie MR5 | Sennheiser 600HD | Korg MR2 | Korg nanoPad and nanoKontrol | Oxygen25 | Kawai ES4 | Taylor T5 | Taylor NS42-CE | Jimmy Vaughn Fender Stratocaster | L.R. Boggs Para Acoustic D.I. | Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

#6 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Is there somewhere you can post your MIDI file? I could analyze the data in a hexdump.

You can add and share files right here in your post.

Just archive the midi as .zip, or .sit

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#7 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Says I'm not permitted to upload that kind of file so I used sendspace.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hlol7d

Edit: Forgot to archive it, probably why!

Edited by hyperacid, 04 December 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#8 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Edit: Forgot to archive it, probably why!

Yes.. We can actually upload all kinds of files. Most compressed types and even uncompressed .wav, aiffs. Even docs like PDFs. I'll see in the future about adding .mid so you won't have to compress it. But it is actually good practice to compress things when sending over th internet. Sort of protects the file from damage.
Sorry for all the off topic.. Wish I could help, but my midi knowledge is not that great. It's right up there with my spelling and typing.

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#9 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

It is doing this for all midi by the way. Not just this file. Interested to see what you can make of it.

#10 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

If I get a chance, I'll analyze the file tonight.
Thanks for uploading!

#11 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi Hyperacid, I can see it all playing the notes with a velocity 80. Now we have to determine what it is supposed to be - would you zip-up your logic project as well?

#12 hyperacid

hyperacid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

That makes perfect sense. I have been using the wrong object in Pure Data, and receiving the velocity instead of the note pitch. Thank you ever so much. I was originally sent on a search which ended up here by the Pure Data forums, because I came to the conclusion that it was a problem with Logic after having been given some advice. Turns out the problem was with Pure Data. I don't think I would have worked it out with out your advice however, something clicked when you said that the velocity was at 80. I have been using the wrong object, midiin instead of notein.

Very sorry to trouble you, and thankyou very much you have been ever so helpful. No one should ever have to ask about this again on this forum, the answers are all here and on the Pure Data forums.

#13 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Absolutely no trouble at all! Challenges like this is what this forum is all about and I'm glad we could be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users