#1 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Logic User Since:2006

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hi,

I am new to the Forum and have just purchased Logic Pro. Are the mastering tools in Logic Pro sufficient to create master quality mixes or do I need something like Waves Gold Native Bundle to get the job done? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Frankie

#2 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

I am new to the Forum and have just purchased Logic Pro. Are the mastering tools in Logic Pro sufficient to create master quality mixes or do I need something like Waves Gold Native Bundle to get the job done? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Frankie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi frankie

Mastering is a separate step after a mix has been done. t would be working on the stereo file that you bounced out of Logic. or processing that you applied to the master channel.
try a search on google about audio mastering for more information.
But I understand your question, sort of. You will need to explain what "master quality mixes" areto you ?

Pete

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#3 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi frankie

Mastering is a separate step after a mix has been done. t would be working on the stereo file that you bounced out of Logic. or processing that you applied to the master channel.
try a search on google about audio mastering for more information.
But I understand your question, sort of. You will need to explain what "master quality mixes" areto you ?

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your response. When I speak of "master" quality, I am referring to audio quality suitable for release on CD. Can Logic itself provide me with the mastering tools to achieve this or do I need another software program like Waves to accomplish this step? Thank you very much!

Frankie

#4 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

So your wondering if the plugins that come with Logic are good enough for a record type productions ?

Pretty sure thats what your asking.... so im going to rename your post .

That is kind of a hard to tackle topic. I mean its all about whos behind the button turning.

But I would say yes, Waves, URS, UAD, DUY, Tritone... are better than logics included plugs.
As far as EQ, compression and Reverbs go, although SpaceDesigner is a really nice convolution reverb.
But you will find plenty of usfull tools/plugins that are bundled with Logic.

Have you used the Logics plugins for a project ? How do you feel they sound ?

It also about how you record things that is going to make or break things, so plugins arn't the total answer.

Pete

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#5 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

So your wondering if the plugins that come with Logic are good enough for a record type productions ?

Pretty sure thats what your asking.... so im going to rename your post .

That is kind of a hard to tackle topic. I mean its all about whos behind the button turning.

But I would say yes, Waves, URS, UAD, DUY, Tritone... are better than logics included plugs.
As far as EQ, compression and Reverbs go, although SpaceDesigner is a really nice convolution reverb.
But you will find plenty of usfull tools/plugins that are bundled with Logic.

Have you used the Logics plugins for a project ? How do you feel they sound ?

It also about how you record things that is going to make or break things, so plugins arn't the total answer.
Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Pete,

Yes, that's correct. I wanted to know if Logic's plugins were sufficient to produce final master recordings. Thanks for answering that.

I have used only the free, 30-day, trial version of Logic Express that comes with a book on the subject. I am buying Logic Pro in a few weeks. Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards,

Frankie

#6 gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:audio/video/webspace engineering

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

Yes, you could do in Logic all the tools are there. And they are good solid plugs you just have to spend some time with them to see if they give the desired result easily.

For quick and dirty mastering I use the suite of plugs from Elemental Audio. It's mostly about preference If you know and love Waves already that may be the easier route.

:cool:

#7 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yes, you could do in Logic all the tools are there. And they are good solid plugs you just have to spend some time with them to see if they give the desired result easily.

For quick and dirty mastering I use the suite of plugs from Elemental Audio. It's mostly about preference If you know and love Waves already that may be the easier route.
:cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for those suggestions. I have not used Waves before, but I think it best that I start with Logic's own plugins first and see how I like them. If not, I'll go with Waves. A friend of mine uses Waves and he really loves them. Thanks very much!

#8 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

Thank you for those suggestions. I have not used Waves before, but I think it best that I start with Logic's own plugins first and see how I like them. If not, I'll go with Waves. A friend of mine uses Waves and he really loves them. Thanks very much!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gotta say there are better plugs out there than Waves. Waves policies arn't the best, but we will NOT get into that in this thread.

For Comps and EQs id look at URS
the Classic Console EQs and Classic Console Compressors. Emulations of SSL, API and Neves. really NICE !
http://www.ursplugins.com

For Reverb id say AltiVerb and or Space Designer.
http://www.audioease...tiverbMain.html

If you do any Waves buying Id only think about 1 bundle, the SSL 4000 ch strip,Eq and Comp.
Buying few plugins will keep the WUP fee down to a reasonable price.

Peter

P.S.
Im going to move this thread down into the plugins area.

#9 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

I gotta say there are better plugs out there than Waves. Waves policies arn't the best, but we will NOT get into that in this thread.

the Classic Console EQs and Classic Console Compressors. Emulations of SSL, API and Neves. really NICE !

If you do any Waves buying Id only think about 1 bundle, the SSL 4000 ch strip,Eq and Comp.
Peter

P.S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Peter,

I appreciate your suggestions. Is there any way that you can try out these plugins before you buy them? Thank you.

Frank

#10 stevelibby3

stevelibby3

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:01 AM

Peter

P.S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Pete-
How do you think the URS plugs compare to the UAD?

#11 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

Yes

Uad makes great emulations of the 1176 and the la2a, While URS make emulations of Neve and SSL comps. and again Waves has their SSL emulation bundle thats sounds fanfuckintastic.
So UAs stuff is really not directly compatible to URS. when the UA release the Neve EQ then you could compare URS's N-Series EQ to the New UA neve eq.

You really can go wrong with UA, URS, or WavesSSL 4000 bundle - the Wup. :wink:

I LOVE all my current plugs ! the only plug im looking for right now is a good tape simulation plug.
Im also interested in izotops Trash.

I mainly mix with my SSL waves bundle and use URS A series quite a bit and the UAs LA2A.
I use URS 1980/1970 comps in tracks like bass or back vox.
But im mostly mixing rock.

anyway they are all good !

Pete

#12 stevelibby3

stevelibby3

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

I'm going to second Peter's opinions about Logic's plugs... They do sound great, and I recommend getting to know each and every one of them before going out and purchasing any 3rd party plugs. You can get great sounding mixes, "cd quality", given you know how to use them. Master using these, and then try some of the Waves demos... I used a lot of Waves plugs for quite awhile until I made the investment of UAD-1... I personally think they sound far better than most plugins that I've used. Now if only Logic would make a comparible multi-tap delay, like Waves SuperTap... :)

#13 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

I'm going to second Peter's opinions about Logic's plugs...  They do sound great, and I recommend getting to know each and every one of them before going out and purchasing any 3rd party plugs.  You can get great sounding mixes, "cd quality", given you know how to use them.  Master using these, and then try some of the Waves demos...  I used a lot of Waves plugs for quite awhile until I made the investment of UAD-1...  I personally think they sound far better than most plugins that I've used.  Now if only Logic would make a comparible multi-tap delay, like Waves SuperTap... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice. I'm just starting to learn Logic so I haven't even begun to understand what it's plug-ins can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users