#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

What tools do you find you use all the time while mixing in your DAW?
How do you use them? When do you use them? What material do you use them on?

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#2 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

1. UAD plugins anything I need comp / eq on

2. master section of my console . I find that monitoring different sources like my masterlink and 2 sound cards becomes much easier with this feature ( BTW im saving for a 2192 which has the same functioanlity )

3. before logic I used hardware reverbs in pro tools . but with my console I can still use them but not in the daw . frees cpu

4. ipod - take your mixes for a drive around the block before making a cd

5. hardware eq - I dont have great eq over here but I find that when boosting It helps

6. a second apir of ears - an audience . I fnd that when I play something for someone if there's something wrong I hear it right away eventhough somehow it got past me before

#3 tedjames

tedjames

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

As much as I dislike the windows platform, I have to say gates, gates, gates...
I use them on just about everything for many different purposes.

#4 kittygroove

kittygroove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i can never seem to go past the L2 found in the waves plug ins :) so good even for a rough mix get a feel. i use waves alot having said that the presets that come with the logic pro plug ins seem quite tasty...if you haven't checked out the channel strip settings yet in 7.1 you must some very very very tasty things.

also i have been using logic for years and would recommed that you should try and work with as many other logic users (and non logic users) as possible...steal and share the production...i am a visual learner and always learn quickest doing this.

the stereo dly in logic is very cool i alwayas use it on vocals (or supertap 2). get to know key commands and prefigure your system :) they are brilliant and save time and energy...i just worked out several today for drop in/s and outs like what you can do in pro tools...anyways will stop my rambling

chat soon everyone

#5 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

Hey kittygroove, welcome to the forum.

I have heard great things about waves plugins, but have also heard horror stories about their stability, is it stable on your system?

#6 kittygroove

kittygroove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hey kittygroove, welcome to the forum.

I have heard great things about waves plugins, but have also heard horror stories about their stability, is it stable on your system?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks tobyond :)

yes i have found the waves very tight and stable...having said that i also have had a few dramas with installing them for version 7.1 when i upgraded. more of an au authorization issue and the waves team were quick to repsond. another great friend of mine (producer/writer) is Anthony Egizzi who wrote the book 'Production Mixing, Mastering with Waves'

i am about to upgrade my system this week from G4 867 with 640 ram on panther osx with logic pro 7.1 to:

G5 2.7
2.5 gig ram
tiger
500 gig h/d
UAD ultra Pak
2 x 17 inch monitors
etc etc

Xmas :victory:

i let you guys know if i experience any dramas with waves on the new system. By the way i always seem to jump for these plug ins (Waves):

L2 on master
supertap 2
q10 (eq)
c1 (compressor)

the others are great but i have found these aren't to cpu hungry but tight...anyways won't have to worry about cpu hungry in a few days

ciao

#7 stevelibby3

stevelibby3

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fairchild Comp for kickdrums and basslines, sometimes synths.
Pultec for all low-end eqing.
Channel Eq always.
L2-on almost every audio track, at least turned on-really helps things to sit well.
Plate 140 and Space Designer.
I'm demoing the Neve 1073 right now...sounds great so far, although it takes me a bit to tweak...(getting used to the interface)

In response to the Waves conversation...I use the hell out of their plugs-they work and sound great-very stable. Since putting a couple UAD-1 cards in though...I haven't used as many Waves plugs... in some cases the difference in quality is like night and day :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users