solchild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Logic User Since:2001

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

I'm very interested in this unit, but I'm wondering a few things:

I know the preamps are the same as on the Mini-Me,
but what converters are they using? Rosetta converters? or did they build converters specifically for this unit?

Anyone in the know, please clue me in!

thanks!

#2 ElmerJFudd

ElmerJFudd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

The price point for the ensemble at US $1995 is a bit outrageous, don't you think?
I realize it has a lot of R&D (particularly software development) tied up in it, but come on. Actually, everything in their line is overpriced. So I guess we'll have to deal.

Anyway, important questions.
Are the ensemble control panels launchable from within Logic.
If so, are routing templates and/or scenes saved with your .lso file and recallable along with the rest of your arrangement.

#3 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

The price point for the ensemble at US $1995 is a bit outrageous, don't you think?

well $1795.00 anyway...
I think the converters on this alone will blow away :
motu828mkII $749.00
motu896HD $995.00
RME FireFace 800 $1,449.00
Metric Halo $1,195.00

All of ensembles controls are available in Logic, even pre-amp level.

Ift he enseble is to much for anyone, they always have plenty of other interfaces to choose from in a wide price range.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#4 Spindler

Spindler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:15 AM

I'm very interested in this unit, but I'm wondering a few things:

I know the preamps are the same as on the Mini-Me,
but what converters are they using?  Rosetta converters? or did they build converters specifically for this unit?

Anyone in the know, please clue me in!
thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The preamps, are similar to, but not the same as the mini-me. According to Appogee Ensemble is of a different design than any of their current products. meaning that not only are the pre-amps not the same as the mini-me, but that the converters are not the same as rosetta 800s.
I would imagine they are very good however... maybe almost as good as the rosetta800. keep in mind the converters in the 800 are really sweet. so even if ensembles dont sound quite as nice.. they will still be a hell of a nice converter, nothing one would reasonably be able to complain about.

of course its hard to know since they arent shipping them yet.
I have one ordered for myself though. and I am really looking forward to it. I had been drooling over the 800s for a while, but the price point the ensemble is at makes my wallet happier, and the pres will come in handy. plus one can hardly complain about the seemless integration, no drivers? awesome.

anyway, my point is, they're two different beasts. the 800 is probably going to have better specs still. The ensemble will have more features.

For logic though, if it is your main interface, I think the ensemble would be the best option.

of course, when I get mine, I'll post what I think of it.

-spindler

#5 Spindler

Spindler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:31 AM

I realize it has a lot of R&D (particularly software development) tied up in it, but come on.  Actually, everything in their line is overpriced.  So I guess we'll have to deal.

Anyway, important questions.
Are the ensemble control panels launchable from within Logic.
If so, are routing templates and/or scenes saved with your .lso file and recallable along with the rest of your arrangement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thats more a matter of opinion. Apogee makes some really good stuff, and so do alot of other manufacturers. some people think the 800 has something exagerated in the lowend... some people say the opposite. then of the people that feel there is an exageration, some of them actually like that, and some of them dont.
I think if you're going to make the claim that apogees converters are overpriced, you're going to at least have to make an argument.
Besides, considering we're all running Macs can we really complain about anything being "overpriced" anyway? afterall, arent macs overpriced computers?

#6 Slowintrepid

Slowintrepid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:33 AM

afterall,  arent macs overpriced computers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, now alienware that's an over priced computer.....

#7 rlsproductions

rlsproductions

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop & Poontang - in that order!
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Am using an Apogee ensemble and I was impressed with the control panel within Logic 8 (all channel controls for this are internal ONLY), and the fact that it looks slick. That's where it ends - they do not use Rosetta converters, as I expected, sounds barely better than M-audio interfaces, and compared to Motu or Metric Halo it is no competition. It is also not hot-swapable on some Macs, but it does work well with Macs (i.e. it will automatically be recognised in sound prefs for apogee once turned on), plus you will always get a decent/ relatively clean signal expected frm a mid range bit of kit.

Save yr money for an 800 if yr serious about recording fidelity!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users