Photo

Active Near Field Monitors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Active Near Field Monitors (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Active Near Field Monitors

1. Dynaudio BM6A (11 votes [26.83%])

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

2. Mackie HR824 (20 votes [48.78%])

Percentage of vote: 48.78%

3. KRK V8 (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

4. Tannoy Reveal (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:37 AM

Looking for a new pair of active near field monitors that wont break the bank. I currently have Event 20/20 bas near fields.
What are your suggestions and comments?

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#2 mattdean

mattdean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

I've been using the Mackie HR824's since they came out. Very nice and I don't find them fatiguing. They're my choice. You get the Genelec flavor without the price.

#3 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:35 AM

alesis MK II

#4 ifjake

ifjake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:19 AM

unfortunately for me breaking the bank is anything more than 400 dollars. gotta love college payments. i'll have to check out those alesis MKII's. and get another job. i have friend who is quite happy with his Event TR 6's. i haven't had as much experience with them as he has but they seem pretty decent.

#5 M25_Orbital_Party

M25_Orbital_Party

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Guys - gotta be dynaudios.

Mackie's are too zingy - too much like genelic's. Ear fatigue kicks in after few hours. No drive, too light.

I was in 'Strongroom' studio in london this weekend mixing the new 'Placebo' single with (a client of mine) a producer called Phil Vinal. This studio is where 'Radiohead's' Kid A LP was mixed. Phil use's dynaudios on most of his sessions. I mixed several LP's with him and every time the Dynaudio's beat all the in-studio options (ns10 & bryson amp/KRK/Urei's/ATC's etc). They got great drive/punch and presence.

All I can say is take your fav LP to a monitor room and give all the spaekers a test.......

1000 is a lotta dollar thou.....

#6 Moviesrock

Moviesrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

YAMAHA MSP5
I love them, great sound

#7 copal

copal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:12 PM

i'm using hr824s, but i would love a pair of the dynaudios...the problem is that they're significantly more expensive.

#8 PAUL

PAUL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:32 AM

I am using Roland's DS-90A 24 bit digital monitors..Never fool my ears...get a pair of it (quite reasonable price) or if you can afford..go for a pair of Genelec 1030A..The best

:wink:

#9 AudiosteeleVR6

AudiosteeleVR6

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Snowboading, cars, video games

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:59 AM

At work we've got a set of DynAudio's. Not sure if they are the exact model you got in the poll, but they sound good even after listening to them for a couple hours. Then again, I am not really pushing their limits doing mostly talk television. The new Calrec Sigma series digital console we've got is pretty sweet.

#10 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:07 AM

Ya I think the dynaudios are the best, just expensive.

I think the best price/performance is the Mackie HR824's.

Maybe when its time Ill get the dynaudios.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#11 kanker

kanker

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 11 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

I use a pair of passive Peavey Phase Reference Monitors. Believe it or not, they sound really good. They sound even better since my brother is the one that bought them and once he quit using them, he just gave them to me. :D/ =D> :mrgreen:

#12 bigbaby987

bigbaby987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

i ditched my 824's as fast as i could....those things are horrible unless you just like bass..... there are no real upper mids, so when mixing female voices it might be a little questionable. i've also found that it depends on the sound of the room you are in also. if you are a small room (10x10) and under, stay away from these monitors. if you get them, make sure you treat your room. personally get yourself a good set of hi end monitors like dyn's, gen's, and adam's. i bought a pair of genelec 1030's and love them. clean, clear. sure they can be a little agressive in the 10k and up ball park, but you can always tune them with the dip switches in the back. and yes you can tune the 824's but they just didn't translate well at all for me. i'm thinking about picking up the genelec 8040's and possibly selling my 1030's(to help fund the 8040's-not because they are bad). trust me, spend the money now before it's too late. i had to spend money twice-taking a loss on my 824's after only having them for just a couple of months. in fact i let them go for 850 after spending-well you get the picture.

#13 pentatonicm

pentatonicm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

Tannoy Active Reveal

its the best u can get under a grand

#14 Albany_Slims

Albany_Slims

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:41 PM

I use the Yorkville YSM1-P's, they are active and sound really good.

Prolly way below the quality you are looking for but I like them alot. I forget what I paid but the cheapest I saw them was audiomidi.com, which is where I bought them.

:victory: :good:

#15 tedjames

tedjames

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

I've had a pair of KRK V8s (the older model) and they are great.
you can't beat their lifetime warranty - just don't throw out the boxes - if you need to ship them back it will cost you $40.00 for a new pair to be shipped out to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users