4 replies to this topic

#1 Duke

Duke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Logic User Since:2011

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

When i'm listening to the vocals I have recorded, both in the chorus and the verses, they sound so empty, you know? What should I do? I want it to sound professional, and I have a pretty good mic.

#2 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Audio Engineering / Composition
  • Logic User Since:2009
  • Audio Software Used:Logic Studio

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Are you using a dynamic mic or a condenser mic? If a dynamic mic, are you using a low impedance mic? It often comes down to the mic, unless you are applying something like a high pass filter to carve out the lows of the voice. Lower frequency content is associated with a full sound.
Logic Studio 9 | Kontakt 5 | 8Dio Studio Violin | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 2.53 GHz Mac mini | 4 GB Ram | Mackie MR5 | Sennheiser 600HD | Korg MR2 | Korg nanoPad and nanoKontrol | Oxygen25 | Kawai ES4 | Taylor T5 | Taylor NS42-CE | Jimmy Vaughn Fender Stratocaster | L.R. Boggs Para Acoustic D.I. | Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

#3 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

When i'm listening to the vocals I have recorded, both in the chorus and the verses, they sound so empty, you know? What should I do? I want it to sound professional, and I have a pretty good mic.

Use a little EQ and some compression, that will fatten things up. If unsure try some presets and adjust.

There are really a lot of ways to work with vocals depending on what your looking for for sound.

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#4 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Audio Engineering / Composition
  • Audio Software Used:Logic Studio

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

True that; vocals are almost always compressed. Good point!
Logic Studio 9 | Kontakt 5 | 8Dio Studio Violin | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 2.53 GHz Mac mini | 4 GB Ram | Mackie MR5 | Sennheiser 600HD | Korg MR2 | Korg nanoPad and nanoKontrol | Oxygen25 | Kawai ES4 | Taylor T5 | Taylor NS42-CE | Jimmy Vaughn Fender Stratocaster | L.R. Boggs Para Acoustic D.I. | Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

#5 samson

samson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Audio Software Used:logicpro 9, pro tools

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

To get the best out of your vocals you need to first consider the mic type (condensor or dynamic); Make sure you capture the best performance you can. In all fairness, you only have what you have captured. capturing a fine performance will already have your vocals sound pretty good and, of course, the microphone chioce helps completement the outcome. Yes, i agree dynamic processing can help shape the size of the instruments 'getting it phat' however it is best not to over compress or over eq as it will serious affect your sound. on the other hand, if you are going for the over compressed/eq sound then thats ok. But i would seriously suggest that you take time to study exactly what sound you want to achieve and how you can achieve it. Having a ref track will also guide you.

regards,

Samson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users