Photo

Copy Protection Preferred By Users ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your prefered method of copy protection ? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your prefered method of copy protection ?

1. Serial code (24 votes [32.88%])

Percentage of vote: 32.88%

2. Password based on your name. (8 votes [10.96%])

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

3. Challenge/ Response (4 votes [5.48%])

Percentage of vote: 5.48%

4. iLOK, XSKEY/ USB Keys (32 votes [43.84%])

Percentage of vote: 43.84%

5. No copy protection (5 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

Give us your thoughts and opinions on copy protection. Vote in the poll and then feel free to discuss your vote in the thread.

Peter

#2 skeetloaf

skeetloaf

Where do I post this ?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Logic User Since:2003

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

I've got to agree with Mr. Ethan Winer on this one. Check it out...

http://www.ethanwine...m/copyprot.html

:detective:

#3 Dr Gruv

Dr Gruv

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

I've got three macs, work home laptop, the dongle lets me move from computer to computer with ease. I wish all plugs were on the ilok. I've got waves, urs, autotune, altiverb...
Michael Droste - Stop By:
MusicRowSongs.com or TrumpetStudio.com

#4 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

I had an ilok

I wouldn't use that thing . its cheap .

I dont mind the logic dongle so much

Only because I put it in my power mac

via internal usb . there's truth in that

article about the price of some of these plugins

and programs .

serail number is the best from my stand point as well

( being the consumer ) but challenge response aint bad

if they give you a couple auths like plugsound does

#5 chriscarter

chriscarter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied...
  • Logic User Since:2001

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

I wish all my authorizations were on ilok.
In my experience it's a completely trouble free system and I can use my iLok authorized apps on ANY Mac I've got.
18 months ago I bought a lot of software, about half needed iLok authorizations and were painless to get up and running, a few were challenge/resonse and half a dozen or more were Native Instruments apps. Almost all the NI authorizations were problematic. In two cases I had to fax NI photo copies of my serial numbers as they said someone else had already registered them, and these were apps I bought direct from NI. I've had two versions of Reaktor that just refused to authorize on my PowerBook until NI sent me brand new serial numbers. Their whole authorization system is a joke. You only need to trawl some of the forums to see that I'm not alone with my NI problems. If they didn't make such good apps I'd dump the lot tomorrow.

#6 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

I voted for USB keys myself. As a Logic user it would be great if other software/plugin makers could use a sort of universal USB software. The software could be installed on ANY USB key allowing users to authorize all of their software and plugins on ONE USB key. (the key of their choice)
If Im not mistaken these USB keys are just really small storage drives..

When i look at software protection methods, I look at how the method will benefit the company in protecting their software from illegal distribution. This only benefits the end user allowing the company to actually make money and turn it around back into their product. If a company can't make money they can't continue to make the software.

My second choice for copy protection method is the serial number. Fast and easy authorization of your plug or software product.
Downside, serial numbers can be easily passed around for anyone with the password can authorize the software. The bigest offender of this is the peer to peer networks. You can find a shit load of software and the corresponding serial number.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#7 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

I don't really like any of them. I don't want to see piracy ruin great developers, but I also don't like the thought of a USB key or challenge and response getting in my way when I am working to a deadline. I'd ultimately like to see some kind of virtual dongle, kind of like an online thing (.mac type thing for instance) where you have your authorizations and all the machines you use them on logged and just log in once every 6 months to continue use. Kind of like the drm for iTunes as far as how many machines you can authorize. I'm not sure how it would work, but there has to be a better way than the current options.

#8 arvidtp

arvidtp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, experimental/computer music, geology, petanque

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

I think the USB key COULD be really useful if it was universal as suggested. But also if it included a like 8 MB storage space (I would even pay a little extra for this) on which u could store your prefs, autoload and some maybe even some AU plugs (the ones that dont have huge sample libraries). Logic would access these settings (or copy them to the current computer being used, backing up the previous ones if necessary) regardless of the computer it was used on, and your working environment would always be exactly the same. This space could be different from the serial number storage space so baddies could not crack the thing or whatever.

Maybe if they added a good 512 MB of space (like some USB keys have) you could be into storing lots of your plugs and even a limited sample library on the thing. :pokey:

But as it stands now with the XS key, It is a bit annoying to have it take up a perfectly god USB port. It was more an issue when i had an Mbox and a USB MIDI interface going, plus the XSkey, but now with a firewire Audio/MIDI interface it is still a tad annoying. Plus that means i cant put my powerbook to sleep and put it in my bag without quitting logic, taking out the USB key, and then restarting Logic when i take the comp back out of the bag - takes time. Would be better if logic figured out when the USB key was out back in and did not still demand to be quit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users