#1 Panda

Panda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hey all,

I'm having this very annoying problem with my g5 (dual 2.0 GHz). When i turn on my monitors (Tannoy Reveal Actives), i hear the guts of the computer trough them. The noise follows the pattern of the movements i make with the mouse, and when i select a file in the finder i hear a high sine tone (must be about 15 kHz). When i'm doing nothing (but looking at the desktop) there's a constant bip...bip...bip of the same tone.
My audio interface is an M-audio delta 1010LT btw. I don't think it's got anything to do with the card though, as the problem is also there (although not as loud) when i'm using the built in audio...

I also don't think the cause is a ground loop in the monitors, as the noise is not there when i use them with my powerbook (with mains connected).

Important detail, the problem's been there since i've moved to a new appartment...

Anyone know what could be causing this and how i could get rid of this?

Thanks,

Nicolaas

#2 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

Are the monitors and the computer plugged into the same power source ?

You also might want to try a power conditioner.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#3 Panda

Panda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

Are the monitors and the computer plugged into the same power source ?

You also might want to try a power conditioner.
Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using two mains plugs: one for the monitors, one for the computer. But it's very well possible that the plugs are a badly done DIY job. I've indeed been thinking that that might be the problem. A power conditioner is a bit expensive though- and i've never used one so i'm not quite sure that it would solve the problem...
First thing i want to be sure of is that it's not the computer.

And also: do you think that the power source could be the problem given the fact that the noise is not there when i use the powerbook?

#4 onlyz

onlyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Logic User Since:2003

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Are you using a Soundcard of any sort?

The G5 will generate more noise (in my experience) due to the amount of fans inside it. A breakout box will solve your problem I'm sure.

#5 Panda

Panda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

Are you using a Soundcard of any sort?

The G5 will generate more noise (in my experience) due to the amount of fans inside it. A breakout box will solve your problem I'm sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, i have an M-audio delta 1010LT. But i'm not sure what the fans have to do with electrical noise coming from the soundcards output.
OTH i'll definitely try installing an external card.

Thanks all for answering!

(i hope it'll solve my problem though)

All the best,

Nicolaas

#6 stevelibby3

stevelibby3

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

Hey all,

I'm having this very annoying problem with my g5 (dual 2.0 GHz). When i turn on my monitors (Tannoy Reveal Actives), i hear the guts of the computer trough them. The noise follows the pattern of the movements i make with the mouse, and when i select a file in the finder i hear a high sine tone (must be about 15 kHz). When i'm doing nothing (but looking at the desktop) there's a constant  bip...bip...bip of the same tone.
My audio interface is an M-audio delta 1010LT btw. I don't think it's got anything to do with the card though, as the problem is also there (although not as loud) when i'm using the built in audio...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm experiencing this same problem-since upgrading to Tiger and installing two UAD-1 cards... I'm wondering which is causing all this noise and how to correct it. Is pretty annoying...

#7 Panda

Panda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

Well, i was having this problem on a G5 running OS 10.3.9, so it's deffo not tiger causing it. I recently purchased a fireface 800, and here's what i noticed:

The noise is still there when i connect the fireface on the back of the G5, but there"s nothing at all when using the front FW port... I don't see this as a good thing as to what building quality is, but at least it got my problem solved...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users