5 replies to this topic

#1 Pack

Pack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Logic User Since:2001

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

Hi this is a new one I'm working on any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.teampinna...g/PartCrazy.mp3

#2 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Pack, I just got to hear it on my old iBooks built in speakers and it sounded really great! I'll take some time to listen to it in the studio later to check the mix. Care to explain what hardware and plugins you used?

#3 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great Song for the genre you are representing....very musical and sounds well tracked...
Orchestrating is a very personal thing....I think I probably would have added strings or some other instruments just to make the track more dramatic near the end........

I think you would do the track good by bringing up the vocals ...especially after the drums come in...

But I believe in all honesty that you have a Great track there.....

O yea tell us what you used and how you used it....Some of the Best musicians and Composers have been some of the best Theives....seriously...job well Done!!

#4 Pack

Pack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Great Song for the genre you are representing....very musical and sounds well tracked...
Orchestrating is a very personal thing....I think I probably would have added strings or some other instruments just to make the track more dramatic near the end........

I think you would do the track good by bringing up the vocals ...especially after the drums come in...

But I believe in all honesty that you have a Great track there.....

O yea tell us what you used and how you used it....Some of the Best musicians and Composers have been some of the best Theives....seriously...job well Done!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.

"Great Song for the genre you are representing"
what genre is that? it's hard for me to say but would be interested to hear anothers point of view.

I have strings (garritan) in there now actually but I'm taking them out. They come in at bridge They don't add anything after having them in. They crowd to much. I just wanted the bridge section to the key change which is really well thought out for me musically to shine thru with the piano and lead guitar in the forefront. The lead guitar part in bridge is actually an acoustic thru guitar Rig.

I played/recorded all the instruments and sing. I used an AT 4047 mic for everything and a GT brick for a preamp straight into my mac. It's all I have :( The acoustic guitar is a larrivee double tracked one track is open chords one track capoed. I then panned left and right. That's typically what I always do for strumming acoustics. It just requires you to play the parts precisely.

The bass is a fender pbass I played the line myself direct into the GT brick then put broomstick bass on top of it and copied that track to another track below it and used compression, low and hi pass filters on it for the beef (a trick I learned). The original bass track retains the attack and articulation. while the double track is all sub and blended in to make it fatter.

The piano is East West bosendorfer 290 played thru a roland keyboard. with some light compression and most of the bass eqed out to make room for the electric bass.

as for the vocal level, you think I would have learned by now to bring my vocal up more but I can't help it. I always initially mix vocals low as l'm not terribly fond of the sound of my voice. I have a tendency to mix my lead vocal a bit low.

All I have left to do is double the lead vocal on the chorus and add one vocal harmony during the second verse and chorus. Maybe double that falsetto part at end too. unless any of you have some interesting suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by Pack, 23 November 2005 - 08:23 PM.

#5 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

By Genre ...I simply meant style....I guess I should have said It was just a Great song and left it at that....There are so many different styles of music that I listen to and enjoy...so lets just say it is a great song IMO....

As regards the string thing....that's just something I could hear in my mind when I heard the track....of course Orchestration is no joke....There are guys that cannot write a song if their life depended on it....But can color one with their orchestral sense....I can definitely hear strings....on the other hand I could hear Solo "Rock" guitar in the same place I'm hearing the strings....especially at the place you modulate the song.........

I guess it's like mastering a Mix.....You give it to 5 different Engineers and you will get back 5 different masters....I guess my point is that when you ask people to comment and give advice about something like your Music....Then just by the nature of the Art....what you are going to get back is going to be subjective....

I listen to and have played a lot of different kinds of Music.....But I believe yours to be very....very good IMO....wish you the best with whatever you want to do with it....even if it's just listening to at the crib........

#6 Pack

Pack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:40 AM

By Genre ...I simply meant style....I guess I should have said It was just a Great song and left it at that....There are so many different styles of music that I listen to and enjoy...so lets just say it is a great song IMO....

As regards the string thing....that's just something I could hear in my mind when I heard the track....of course Orchestration is no joke....There are guys that cannot write a song if their life depended on it....But can color one with their orchestral sense....I can definitely hear strings....on the other hand I could hear Solo "Rock" guitar in the same place I'm hearing the strings....especially at the place you modulate the song.........

I guess it's like mastering a Mix.....You give it to 5 different Engineers and you will get back 5 different masters....I guess my point is that when you ask people to comment and give advice about something like your Music....Then just by the nature of the Art....what you are going to get back is going to be subjective....

I listen to and have played a lot of different kinds of Music.....But I believe yours to be very....very good IMO....wish you the best with whatever you want to do with it....even if it's just listening to at the crib........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks your praise is greatly appreciated. (most likely listening to it at the crib :) I do this for fun I'm a plumber by day and a weekend warrior musican heh

I use alot of the tips I get on forums in mixing and adding or removing stuff.
see when you play/record/produce etc it gets insular that's what most good bands don't do it. so it's cool to get some ideas now and then. People have said to raise the vocals and remove some verb. So I did.
I still know what I generally want a song to sound like but I sometimes miss details. These forums are great for that.

I agree about the rock guitar. I think I'm gonna have someone come in for that. Would be nice to have slash playing over the outro haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users