#1 oioi

oioi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

hay guys.

do u get song making boardom or is it just me? after listing to the tune over and over again during the making of it, i tend to get board of the track and start to loose enthusiasm. this is one thing i always seem to be up against :wacko:

any ideas on how to fix this? :dknow:

the music i make is breakbeat-electronic, so its a lot of editing and sound sculpting involved witch takes forever to get right, so hearing the same passage over and over starts to dull the first rush of "got to do a tune!!" :angry:

any help from u guys would be great :good:

cheers

#2 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

a lot of editing and sound sculpting involved witch takes forever to get right, so hearing the same passage over and over starts to dull the first rush of "got to do a tune!!"   :angry:

Its hard, its a right brain left brain thing ya know?
This happend to me years ago.... ya know what happend ? I started to record others instead. :tongue:

I found it so hard to get on with the creative half while I was mucking around in the tech world for hours.

I would say try to stay away from tech aspects for as long as possible while creating. In your instance that's a little harder :huh:

Peter

#3 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:37 AM

I have the same thing, I'll generally leave a song for a few weeks and then come back to it. Then it sounds fresh and the ideas flow again. The problem is when you are working to a deadline, then you have no choice but to keep plugging along.
Another thing I find helps is work at different times of the day. I generally compose at night, but if I'm really struggling with something I try when I first wake up. I sometimes change my monitoring situation as well, headphones, then plug in a cheap set of computer speakers, sometimes I have even used the mono speaker on my G5. The track will then sound different and help me get inspired again.

#4 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:55 PM

I have many methods to over come this boredom

stop mixing and play a video game , ride a bike whatever floats your boat .
eat something.... its surprising how refreshing a cold sandwich can be .
have a smoke and drink a beer .... put your feet up . buy more gear .... the more gear I get the more enthuisastic I become when
its time to record ... some people say gear takes away from music but to me
its all the more reason to play

listen to your favorite CD's ... nothing like listening to one of the great Cd's that made
you a musician in the first place , to keep pushing you towards that unattainable goal .

read a book ... start a new song ..... do whatever it takes

:victory:

#5 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:38 PM

drink a beer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely one of my secret weapons. :wink:

Also going for a drive along the freeway with my favorite tunes blaring is a sure fire way to get me motivated.

#6 oioi

oioi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

good tips people!!

of corse its not just the enthusiasm to overcome , but u know the 'played to death syndrome' starts to sink in.

its like when you first here one of those summer anthems on the radio and u just got to buy the single, then u play it over and over, then u here it all the time on the radio and tv...then one day u wake up and cant stant that record!! that happens with wrighting tunes i fine. i guess i should give the tunes a break for a week or 2 as u mention :victory:

cheers peeps!

#7 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

yeah start another one and come back to it later

#8 rraposo

rraposo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

[quote name='oioi' date='Jun 22 2005, 10:25 AM']
hay guys.

after listing to the tune over and over again during the making of it, i tend to get board of the track and start to loose enthusiasm.

I find after I've cobbled together a rough mix and the major parts are in place, I start subtracting.
Slash and burn through the individual parts and take out everything that's not essential.
Be Merciless! When you come back to the mix there's more air and more dynamic range.
The thematic sections will begin to speak to you and tell you what they need (usually more subtraction).
This is also the point where my wife starts shaking her head and asking "How many more times are you gonna listen to that?"
What are you gonna do!

#9 stevelibby3

stevelibby3

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Logic User Since:2002

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

Composition boredom...this has definitely been my arch nemesis... I also produce electronic music and I know exactly what you're talking about. I agree with all of the above advice, most of which has also helped me to keep bangin away.
I definitely recommend taking breaks and listening to a few tracks that inspire you...usually it's those that make you want to do your own material in the first place. To add to that, its very helpful to bring one of your favorite tunes into your Logic arrangement so you can compare your mixing and use of sounds, etc to this other track. A lot of people call this A/B-ing...
Another thing that has really helped me to keep pluggin' away is to have 2 or 3 projects going... In a way it doesn't allow you to focus 100% on one thing and finish it-but when you're bored of hearing something...that's going to prevent completion anyway :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users