• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Logic User Since:2009
  • Audio Software Used:Logic 8 & 9
    Pro Tools

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hi everyone,

What do you think would be my better option for writing electronic music, or should i just stick with Logic?

I started using Logic about two years ago when I started a music technology course, and I must say that I am very impressed so far. I am writing a lot of electronic music such as house and dubstep so naturally I love the way Logic is user friendly, especially within the mixing window.

I have used Pro Tools and although I appreciate it is the better program to use for recording, I find it so frustrating that certian things tend to take much longer. e.g. busses are already in each channel strip within Logic, whereas in Pro Tools you have to make a new channel and re-route the inputs and outputs. Also there isn't a plug-in on Pro Tools that even comes close to the quality of Ultrabeat for making electronic drum beats.

I've briefly looked at Reason and I think the quality of the synths are unbelieveable, it's just a shame that you cant add any addition plug-ins. I also finding myself having to constantly squint at the screen to be able to see the program itself as everything is sooo small.

It may just be me, but I find Fruity Loops is completely illogical and backwards in regards to how you get recorded MIDI into the arrange window. I also think the the effect plug-ins such as EQ are designed to be pretty, rather than accurate. (not one of my favourite DAW's)

I haven't gone into that much detail in my opening summary as I am very new to everything in the world of music. I hope that you all can add some input as to what you think would be my better option for writing electronic music, or should i just stick with Logic?

Rob

#2 JustDan

JustDan

Logic Moderator

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Audio Engineering / Composition
  • Logic User Since:2009
  • Audio Software Used:Logic Studio

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hugely late response on my part, but I personally like Logic because of its interface, linear phase EQ, and adaptive limiter, as well as its rich array of many other plugins and, if you get studio, samples. Also, it works well as a host for other programs like Kontakt and seems to integrate well with most devices (except for the Korg NanoKontrol 1, which seems to be a real P.I.A. for some horrible reason). Like with any professional tool, though, the results are really dependent on your knowledge about the science of sound. So far, I have found nothing lacking in Logic Pro 9 for mixing, mastering, and composing.
Logic Studio 9 | Kontakt 5 | 8Dio Studio Violin | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | 2.53 GHz Mac mini | 4 GB Ram | Mackie MR5 | Sennheiser 600HD | Korg MR2 | Korg nanoPad and nanoKontrol | Oxygen25 | Kawai ES4 | Taylor T5 | Taylor NS42-CE | Jimmy Vaughn Fender Stratocaster | L.R. Boggs Para Acoustic D.I. | Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro

#3 AnnaKendrick

AnnaKendrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005
  • Audio Software Used:FL Studio

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

I am a composer, but i write more classical pieces. i have one a competition before, it is called NSBA, so i have experiece. I love to use Sibelius 4 or 5. they have the largest varitey of instruments and you can write any kind of music you would like.

What types of online translation services is best for your business?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: logic, daw, best, pro tools, reason, fruity loops, electronic music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users