Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Logic User Since:2004

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

Dear People,

As my projects in Logic tend to grow more and more, I've started to get the "Disk too slow"-treatment quite a bit recently. I checked in to this and, found that my internal hard drive is only 4,200rpm (I have a PowerBook 15") and, apparently, that's a bit slow for running Logic. So I figure if I get an external drive running at 7,200rpm, my problems will be solved, am I right? But I'm an idiot as to these things so I don't really know what to look for: USB or FireWire (400 or 800)? Anything else that might be worth taking into account? I intend to use that drive solely for music, so what should be moved there, both Logic, plug-ins and songs? Do I simply just drag the stuff there, or should I uninstall and re-install it there?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated,

Johan

#2 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:21 PM

I've started to get the "Disk too slow"-treatment quite a bit recently. I checked in to this and, found that my internal hard drive is only 4,200rpm (I have a PowerBook 15") and, apparently, that's a bit slow for running Logic.

Yes you should be running 7200rpm or higher, and putting your audio on a separate drive.
Your only real choice is a firewire drive.
Does your powerbook a have FW800 port?
IF so Id go with a FW800 drive setup. But.. FW 800 drive are a little more expensive.
FW400 will do you fine.

A few topics in this forum discuss HDs.

Im sure you will get a few more replies about what drive work best for people.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#3 AudiosteeleVR6

AudiosteeleVR6

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Snowboading, cars, video games

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:39 AM

I just recently bought an external hard drive for myself not too long ago, so I've done a lot of research recently on the subject. IMHO, the best external hard drives out there are the La Cie ones. The newer ones (this year's model I believe) have a triple interface (USB 2.0, FW 400, and FW 800) so connection options are not an issue. No additional software is needed to install on your Mac if you are running any version of OSX. It is truely plug and play. 7200 RPM speed and many models to choose from. It works out to be about $1 per GB of storage. Another interesting tid bit is that Apple Sells the La Cie drives on their website, so that goes a long way in my book.

The case is slim and metal and can be mounted vertically or horizontally. It is virtually silent (except during start up-but that is expected) and has a cool blue eye that glows when it's on. I give it a big thumbs up!!!

#4 Kapten Stofil

Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:13 AM

Well, if it's got a "cool blue eye", as you say, then I suppose that ends all argument: I'm ordering one today.

Thanks for the input!

/Johan

#5 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:55 AM

I have a Lacie D2 160 gig firewire drive, it is silent and really nice, but sometimes I wonder if the 2 meg cache is enough for audio as I do get a lot of core audio overloads in Logic, maybe a drive with an 8 meg cache would be better???

#6 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:49 PM

And Don't forget SCSI....The Seagate Cheetah x15k is the fastest drive I know out there...of course you would need a PCI card.....and they are still more expensive...but even if you only had a 18g drive...you should be able to do a session on one...then you could save it to DVD-Rom ....and clear the Drive for the next session...or you could raid them....I use 2 of em in a raid just for recording and mixing ...I call them "THE FRYING PAN"...watch one work and I think you will see why I call it that....

ThothProd

#7 Kapten Stofil

Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:31 AM

OK, I put my LaCie-order on hold to make a more informed decision (not my greatest discipline). Thothprod--I'm on a PowerBook, so I don't think I have a PCI-slot. And anyway, I'd prefer to have the simplicity of just one single drive instead of having to move files around, saving them on different media.

As for the 8MB cache, I found a FW800-disk at a Swedish store (yes, I'm from Sweden) that seems to be of some kind of generic make, the disks inside are either Hitachis or Maxtors (means nothing to me). However, it's transfer rate is only 30-35MB/s, to be compared to Lacie's claimed 80MB/s. The transfer rate must be pretty important too, mustn't it? The only other disks with 8MB cache I've found have been the big Lacies, and they're a bit out of my price range.

#8 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:20 PM

Here you go!

160 GB
FireWire 800, FireWire 400 and Hi-Speed USB 2.0
8MB cache
Max Sustained Transfer Rate
FireWire 800: up to 61MB/s**
FireWire 400: up to 40MB/s**
USB 2.0: up to 34MB/s**

$199.00 US

http://www.lacie.com...t.htm?pid=10023

#9 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:52 AM

Kapten...
Youre right...I just re read your post......And SCSI definitely is more expensive and a tad more difficult .....but nothing you couldn't handle...the Powerbook does kind of limit you though...
Don't know if your familiatr with Mac Gurus....they recommend The Granite Firevue FW Drives over the Lacie....you might want to check their site out...very informative on just about all Mac related issues...of course it's their opinions...you can decide if it makes sense to you.

www.macgurus.com

Thothprod

#10 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:24 AM

Kapten.....

Incidentally...in a raid your Computer sees all the drives as one....and firewire can be raided also...I know your just tryin to make a simple set up....further down the road this ideal might appeal to you...

ThothProd

#11 Kapten Stofil

Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:09 AM

Peter, thanks for the link! Seems as if it's not available through the Swedish dealer yet for some reason and the US-store doesn't ship internationally--I'll just have to wait a little while I guess. Patience...

Thothprod, I tried to read some of the RAID-thing on MACgurus site, and it seems to be the optimal setup if you want high speed and flexibility. But, it also seems a tad esoteric for someone like me. I'll take the gurus' advice in this case: "Do you really need a RAID like this? The Gurus feel that if you have to ask the question, you probably do not."

#12 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:50 PM

Kapten...
I feel you...it took me awhile to feel like "I needd it"....but at least you know that direction is there if you ever want to go there.
Hope you find what you need for right now...(yea those Mac Guru Guys are kind of extreme...but their stuff will put your computer thing on another level)

Good Luck

ThothProd

#13 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

In most cases Raids and Scsi Drives are over Kill.

The most important thing that should be done in this case is get your Audio onto a separate drive and that that drive be 7200rpm or faster.
Also a drive with 8mb cache is a plus.

If your not recording high track counts (16 and up) simultaneously a standard ATA drive running at 7200rpm is more than sufficient for playback of alot of audio, Internal or external firewire.
PlayBack is the issue here. corect me if im wrong Johan.

Throthprod,
Options are great but super fast drives are not needed in all situations. Its just gear lust :D

Johan
Also did you try and google a search for those drives? it might help...
http://www.google.co...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Peter

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#14 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

Peter...
I agree that they are not needed in all situations(Raids)...but geeks much more knowledgeable than myself have shown that...these can result in wider Bandwith...and greater throughput...which in certain situations definitely enhances the musical presence.
Perhaps That maybe Gearlust to you...but I am all for...enhancing the presence of my music...I will however agree that it is not necessary for everyones needs or taste...I simply mentioned to show some of the alternatives at ones disposal...I think it is then up to that person on whether they want to utilize and /or have the resources to do so ....I don't believe that the phrase GearLust is necessarily a fair description of that approach...many Repected Professionals in this business utilize raids...and any other method to enhance their Music.

ThothProd

#15 Kapten Stofil

Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:38 AM

OK, so I found myself a Lacie FW800, 250GB, 8MB cache and will get it this weekend. But could anyone give me any advice on how to set it up? What should be moved to the disk? Should it be partitioned in any special manner?

/Johan

#16 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:52 AM

Nothing special to do.

Just move audio files and sample libraries to the new drive. Record new audio to this drive.

Leave logic right where it is, on the system drive.

just remember..
audio files being read and written to a drive are what tax your disk i/o.
realtime events like plug-ins and virtual instruments are what tax ram and cpu.

Peter

#17 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hey Kapten Stofil, the only thing I do when I get an external drive (aside from re-formatting it) is set aside a small 5 gig or so partition and install Panther on it, so I can have a back-up, bootable, troubleshooting partition.

#18 PepperJack

PepperJack

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

anyone know the Seagate Barracuda harddrive? seek time .8 and 8Meg cache? good buy for internal drive to record audio on?

peppa

#19 Craig Patane

Craig Patane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:all types of Electronic music and jazz
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

Hey Kapten Stofil, the only thing I do when I get an external drive (aside from re-formatting it) is set aside a small 5 gig or so partition and install Panther on it, so I can have a back-up, bootable, troubleshooting partition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read through all of the posts an d I still have a couple of questions:

1st..I bought a Lacie D2 triple interface 250g it is hooked up via firewire 800

1. I basically just plugged it in and my dual 2.0 G5 recogn. it automatically...Do I need to reformat the drive, if yes to what format and what is the easiest way.

2. I want to move all of my audio..mp3's/ EXS24 & Ultrabeat samples etc to that drive...Do I just drag and drop. When I move my apple loops, if I load a song that has a loop in it..will it automatically find it on the new drive, or will I have to search for it!

3. How do I partation the drive to put a bootable version of Tiger on it, like Tobyond did!

Thank you in advance,

Craig

#20 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:04 AM

you can use Disk utility do reformat the drive and create 2 partitions.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is fine or even not Journaled.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users