1 reply to this topic

#1 lavish

lavish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:46 PM

Check my sig for my setup...
I program a lot of my drums in Reason or StylusRMX.
The tracks end up sounding great, but the drums doesn`t have the same punch as when I use my MPC.

Can anybody give me any good tips on how to make my drum audio stripes more punchy?

#2 rraposo

rraposo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

Check my sig for my setup...
I program a lot of my drums in Reason or StylusRMX.
"The tracks end up sounding great, but the drums doesn`t have the same punch as when I use my MPC. 
Can anybody give me any good tips on how to make my drum audio stripes more punchy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try the "New York Drum Sound"

This is from Jim Frazier on the Apple Logic Pro Discussions:

"Basically, the idea is this... to tuck a super compressed version of your drum kit underneath the main drum kit.

Generally speaking, this works best with kick, snare and toms, although some cymbal bleed can be really cool too.

Mult those elements of your drum tracks off to their own Aux, and do some heavy compressing on that Aux. Make sure that you don't set the attack of the compressor so low, that all the transients are squashed back. You want those to poke through.

Now, play your track, and slowly slide the Auxes level up from nothing, until you hear the effect of the compression as it blends with your "regular" drum tracks. A little goes a long way here.

You can also experiment with adding a few dB of 10kHz and 100 Hz to that Aux track."

I've been trying this and it really boosts the "presence" of the percussion and when used with restraint livens the drums without pushing the peaks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users