Photo

Preferred Interface Connection ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Prefered Type of Audio Interface Connection (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Prefered Type of Audio Interface Connection

1. Firewire 400/800 (100 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. USB1.1/2.0 (6 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

3. PCI (12 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

4. PCI-X (7 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

5. PCI-e (10 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

Try to base your answers on the following:

How would you prefer your audio interfaces connect to your computer ?
What do you think the best technology is?
What technology is going to be used most in the near future ?

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#2 TechnaChord

TechnaChord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:39 PM

Try to base your answers on the following:
How would you prefer your audio interfaces connect to your computer ?
What do you think the best technology is?
What technology is going to be used most in the near future ?
Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely FireWire!

#3 noyank11

noyank11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

FireWire!
I've ridden the long Yamaha 01X wave and I run the 01x out of the card slot on my powerbook 17" w/ an adapter and run a firewire out to my drive w/ my samples....

#4 Mikey MTC

Mikey MTC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

In terms of power, does anything come near PCIe? I mean, this thing supoprts multiple lanes of 64 bit data. From my understanding, it's a powerhouse that none of the other options get anywhere near.

#5 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:00 AM

Firewire for future compatibility, I like to be able to go Desktop to Laptop without having to change interfaces. I think Firewire 800 has a future as well as whatever IEE 1394 (firewire) has in the future, there were rumors that a Firewire 1600 was only a small step from 800, that would be awesome!

I think that PCIe will be the best solution for the big multitrack guys, pro studios and the like, and for the rest of us there's firewire..

Actually, whatever uses the least CPU will win my favor, if USB2 is capable of being lighter on CPU then I'd take that......

#6 andyeb

andyeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Logic User Since:1992

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

It's not looking good for Apple's FireWire-less laptops then is it? :dknow:

Andy

#7 mac forever

mac forever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

If you are working on a sirius level were you are recording vocals and do complex trax , like working on a track as much as 40 / 50 audio tracks with plenty automation then why would you use anything else then a PCI???
Dont get me wrong, i have a powerbook my self and i never manage to do a decent track on it.
I always find my self bringing the project to G5 and do a proper work.
If your main studio is portable then you have no choice really, but if you are desktop based...dont fool your selfs... just use PCI.
We all know the diference in power between the lot... just use the best you can afford and you cant go wrong.

%100 PCI

Edited by mac forever, 08 January 2006 - 01:52 AM.

#8 Kapten Stofil

Kapten Stofil

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Logic User Since:2004

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:20 AM

I use firewire, and have never had any problems with the speed of the connection. I've never got my FW-stuff to be very reliable when hot-swapped, however, I always have to reboot to connect, so ALL is not well. :dknow:

Mac Forever, I'm curious, do you mean you're recording 50 tracks simultaneously? Otherwise, I can't really see how the complexity of the project or automation would have anything to do with the interface, more with the juice of your computer.

#9 Junkie

Junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Logic User Since:2004

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

What are the relevant data transfer rates between each connection though? I've used firewire and it's been great but (not that ive experienced it yet) i have heard stories that it just ain't big enough to handle the data streaming. How about daisy chaining multiple firwire devices together, anyone chained MOTU 828's or 896's together?

#10 anton

anton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:55 AM

Hope for PCIe at soon....

#11 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

I cant believe people are voting for regular PCI. I mean its on its way out the door, about to be retired, going the way of the dinosaur or ISAslot.

Peter

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#12 chrisdb

chrisdb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Logic User Since:2001

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:57 AM

I just replaced my trusty but aging g4 dual533 with a new dual core g5 2.0g. I had to go firewire by default. Nobody is making cards in the PCI-E standard as far as i know. I purchased a Yamaha i88x firewire interface.
A firewire interface is plenty of bandwidth for a small desktop studio such as my own, and firewire does give one portability and (hopefully) will be compliant with future hardware .

#13 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

I've used firewire and it's been great but (not that ive experienced it yet) i have heard stories that it just ain't big enough to handle the data streaming. How about daisy chaining multiple firwire devices together, anyone chained MOTU 828's or 896's together?

Get Up to 146 tracks with MOTU Firewire Interfaces.
Check this out http://www.sweetwate...m/feature/motu/

also be sure to check out the little quicktime video on that page.

oh you to mac forever check it out

If your main studio is portable then you have no choice really, but if you are desktop based...dont fool your selfs... just use PCI.
We all know the diference in power between the lot... just use the best you can afford and you cant go wrong.

Peter

#14 fractured

fractured

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

I hate how this poll was done. There should have been several questions.

I currently use PCI and PCMCIA for reliability and speed on my computers. I use RME Hammerfall HDSPs all around. I have 5 of them. I do a mixerless setup and absolutely love the sound of the a/d d/a conversion in these units. The clocking on these units is very solid.

Due to a need for more PCI availability since my switch to Mac, I am moving to an RME FireFace. I have 2 Powercores and a UAD-1 that need the slots. I wouldn't leave the stability and reliability of the PCI slot if I didn't need to. If it weren't for my bandmate using a FireFace, I'd steer clear of the lower bandwidth interfaces.

My G5 is a second gen dual 2gHz model, so no PCI-e yet, but when I move on, I want to go to a PCI-e version of the Hammerfall, if that becomes available.

#15 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

I hate how this poll was done. There should have been several questions.

Could explain a bit more ? it is clear what I was looking for ig you actually read my first post.

Also please feel free to contribute to the community. feel free to PM me with any future poll ideas.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

#16 dix

dix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:things that are heavier than they look

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Has MOTU abandoned PCI? They won't say. I have a feeling they're going to go all FW and USB.

#17 mac forever

mac forever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

Mac Forever, I'm curious, do you mean you're recording 50 tracks simultaneously? Otherwise, I can't really see how the complexity of the project or automation would have anything to do with the interface, more with the juice of your computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fact his, I use outboard gear like compressors and EQ and stuff.
I basicaly have a series of outputs from my sound card to my outboard and from the outboard back to the computer and use then as plugins on inserts.
We are talking about lots of tracks and lots ins and outs playing at the same time...Dont get me wrong, but i sirius doubt that you can do that with a firewire interface with out starting to have latency problems and so on.

You can just compare external firewire drives and internal drives, the internal drive works much more efficient wen the track becomes more and more intensive...

I understand firewire is the future, but if its going to be the future...at list manufactures can make it reliable as the PCI.

Cos thats what PCI is...Reliable!!!!

#18 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

I understand firewire is the future, but if its going to be the future...at list manufactures can make it reliable as the PCI.

1. I dont think firewire is the future at all. ( it will defiantly have its place though )
2. PCI-e is waaayy better format than reg. PCI.
3. As far as Mac users go ( wich we all are ) PCI is dead.
4. Im Sure motu will develop a PCI-e card. FW and USB will NOT be their only connection format, no way....

Once PCI-e audio interfaces start to hit the market, you will see the benefits of them over PCI or firewire for that matter.

Peter

#19 ricey

ricey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

well, my preference and what the future is are 2 distictly different things.
that's like audio quality: 24/96 being the former and mp3 being the latter.

i prefer SCSI(PCI) for two reasons: it's more stable than anything else and it's faster than anything else. other than that... :lol:

the future is going to come across simple CAT5 cable, IMHO

#20 mac forever

mac forever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

1. I dont think firewire is the future at all. ( it will defiantly have its place though )
2. PCI-e is waaayy better format than reg. PCI.
3. As far as Mac users go ( wich we all are ) PCI is dead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...At the moment we dont have PCI-e sound cards as far as i know.
I am only giving my point what regards to PCI vs FIREWIRE.
And as far as i know PCI just kills firewire in the real world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users