#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

Lots of great firewire interfaces on the market.

Give us your thoughts on a great firewire interface.
FW400 and FW800

(Note: Firewire interfaces only please)

Posted Image

#2 daedalus77

daedalus77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

Hello, everyone—

New to the Forum. As for FW interfaces, I like my MOTU 828mkII. I've only had it a few days, but so far it interfaces wonderfully with Logic Pro.

Very solid product. Stable drivers. Good, clear mic pres on first two channels. Lots of I/O possibilities. MIDI. Good software mixing component (CueMix), though I don't anticipate I'll really use it, spending most of my time in Logic.

Not too many stand-alone FW units out there, still. Metric Halo is great but pricey; M-Audio stuff is notorious for instability and shoddy build, though I have not first-hand experience with it; new Edirol stuff is interesting, but not proven yet.

MOTU is great value. The way to go.

Hope this helps.

#3 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:38 AM

:shock:

RME Has got the FireFace 800.

I think its the first firewire800 audio interface out there.

http://www.rme-audio...glish/index.htm

Posted Image

Its a little more expensive than the 828MKII but it might compare as far as converters, to the
Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882.

I think its worth a look :wink:

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#4 PAUL

PAUL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:43 AM

Out of all FW hardwares...Matric Halo stands the best..next comes the RME and MOTU 828 Mk.II

I am running on 828 Mk II..managed to buy a good pc from ebay..the seller never sent the manual.. :oops: finding difficult to work with it.

Any help from 828 MkII users shall be great ful..

#5 mlehmann

mlehmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

I agree with the MOTU 828mkII. You can't go wrong with this one. However, we shouldn't forget M-Audio FW 410 and FW Audiophile. Now that the drivers problems are fixed, those are very interesting for the price.

#6 Unjay

Unjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Logic User Since:2004

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

M-Audio stuff is notorious for instability and shoddy build, though I have not first-hand experience with it; new Edirol stuff is interesting, but not proven yet.

Huh??

I bought a FireWire 410 and it is brilliant! Feels heavy, solid metal construction, buttons and knobs are definite in response, and once installed it operates invisibly- you don't even need the control panel open- it just goes and goes... and if you upgrade to a bigger interface, eg. Motu 828 etc., you can still use it to add further channels via digital out!

It's good value!
Never wait till tomorrow to put off what you already did yesterday- for today will come again
same time next year. Never call a doctor when what you really want is a naughty night nurse.

#7 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:16 AM

I have heard such conflicting views about the m-audio interfaces, but there always seems to be bad and good reviews on everything you buy (particularly audio interfaces). I'm thinking about getting a 410, but I'm still trying to make sense of the bad reviews. Does digi's purchase of m-audio make any difference?

#8 mlehmann

mlehmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:10 AM

For the moment, Avid's buying M-Audio won't make any differences. I used to work in retail and I always recommended M-Audio products because usually they're trouble-free. I have a FW410 and I'm really happy with it. Like I said before, they had some problems with the drivers on OSX but it's a thing of the past now.

#9 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

MOTU Traveller, a new firewire interface
At AES, Motu unveiled the Motu Traveller, a new bus powered 24Bit
192kHz Firewire audio interface equipped with 4 Mic-Pre's (all with individual phantom power)
and a total of 20 channels of I/O

http://www.macmusic....mtQjpAznOhMaS=1

Looks like a nice little portable interface. BUs powered too :shock:

#10 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

Watch Out....
With a X Card Option....The Apogee 800/200 becomes perhaps the top end for Firewire Interfaces....of course they do cost!!!

http://www.apogeedig...ds.php#firewire

ThothProd

#11 camarao

camarao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:42 PM

Any opinions on the Presonus Firebox and the Terratec Phase 24 fw ?

#12 T2k

T2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:54 AM

MOTU Traveller, a new firewire interface
At AES, Motu unveiled the Motu Traveller, a new bus powered 24Bit
192kHz Firewire audio interface equipped with 4 Mic-Pre's (all with individual phantom power)
and a total of 20 channels of I/O

http://www.macmusic....mtQjpAznOhMaS=1

Looks like a nice little portable interface. BUs powered too  :shock:

That's what I'm waiting for - RME is too expensive, I won't spend more than Grand...
If anybody see any review about this Motu Traveler - shipping started last week -, please, let me know.

#13 camarao

camarao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well, I just bought Terratec Phase 24 fw and it's incredible ! Great sound, all balanced ins and outs, very clean interface, and a really incredible price. The best!
I use it with an iMac 20" and Logic Pro 7.

Alex

#14 streetvibes

streetvibes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:world of music

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:07 AM

Firewire Interface ?? one my council :

I have test all the best firewire card in commerce whit logic ; motu , rme , prosonus , rosetta .

whitout any doubts ; the best firewire is the Metric Halo i/o , primis for stability and for fantastic
audio quality !!!! .

Metric Halo and Logic 7 is the best solution for stability !

#15 Supasandeep

Supasandeep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

I have a Presonus Firebox, sounds great but sometimes i have very random problems that i've found out have to do with the drivers.... I also have an m-audio audiophile firewire and it works ok, but i've found m-audio's really hit or miss with people

my vote goes to RME fireface 800 though (all they need to add is a volume knob)

#16 rlsproductions

rlsproductions

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop & Poontang - in that order!
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

I took the dreaded plunge, mostly to use Pro Tools M-Powered, and jst bought a M-audio Project Mix I/O. I think they definately needed Digi's help, and they got it - it has some "hot" pre-amps, similar to Focusrite's, so you can have a really low signal. However you definately don't have the audio quality of Motu or Metric Halo, as I get alot of unwanted noise, but it's use-able, as long as u don't want to make an acoustic album with it! It is also unstable with Logic's MMC which has driven me crazy, but works fine more or less as an audio interface & control surface.
If you want the motorised faders with unlimited banks, this it does well - they seem more reliable than Digi's other mixers, except for the weak jog wheel! It depends what exactly u need and I needed this - it suits a basic, electronic music, workflow ONLY !! This ain't for the Pro's, but it is Firewire!
PLS let me know if anyone else has a Project Mix!

#17 chrisdb

chrisdb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Logic User Since:2001

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

i went to firewire when i upgraded to a dualcore g5 with pci-x. I purchased a Yamaha i88x and am quite pleased. it has enough inputs (8) that i can leave my equipment plugged in and the mic pre's in inputs 1&2 (only) are remarkable.
originally in the $1200 range, selling now at abot $400, this is a $$teal!

#18 jt777

jt777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

Does anybody have any impressions of the RME Multiface? It looks nice and at a good price for RME.

How does the RME Multiface compare to Motu's Traveler? The Multiface ($700) looks like the little brother of the Fireface ($1500) - and a competitor to the Traveler ($849). Then again, the Multiface is a 24/96 unit.

8 ins/outs + midi in/out on the front of the unit. Motu's Traveler has them on the side, which looks like they would be unusuable if you racked it (?).

Thanks...

#19 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

did you see the MOTU UltraLite

http://www.sweetwate...tail/UltraLite/

Posted Image

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#20 jt777

jt777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

did you see the MOTU UltraLite

I did shortly after I posted that. That looks like a great unit. However, I'm falling into the price-point mind-games... $550 for that, but for $750 I could have that, and for just a little more I could get that! :)

I'll have to take a serious look at it soon, but it looks like a great deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users