Photo

Do You Use Logic On A Dedicated Machine ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use logic on a dedicated machine ? (91 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use logic on a dedicated machine ?

1. Yes (37 votes [40.66%])

Percentage of vote: 40.66%

2. No (54 votes [59.34%])

Percentage of vote: 59.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peter

Peter

Site Creator & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Logic User Since:1998

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Do you use logic on a dedicated machine ?

A Mac that has only one job, Running Logic.
No internet, no mail no other junk.... just audio related tasks.

Please feel free to discuss.

Peter

Mixing - Logic Pro X | OS X 10.8.4 | 3.4GHZ Quad Core Hackintosh | 16GB Ram |

Studio Tracking - Logic Pro 9.1.8 | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GHZ Quad Mac Pro | 6GB Ram | Apogee Symphony PCI-e | Apogee AD16X | Apogee Mini DAC | Logic Control & Extender and Mackie Control C4 and a boat load of other cool stuff i use in my studio Static Productions

#2 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

I now do use Logic on a Dedicated machine......since I got my Quad.......
I did however configure the Quad for email....so I could Upgrde my software directly....But when I am not upgrading I completely detach my ethernet from my dsl modem......I Love it

I do have my DP 1.25 G4 set up as a node(it has all my other computer stuff on it...But as of yet I have not had to use it as a node....I guess that's why I'm not on the forums as much ....Been seriously working projects......

#3 mattdean

mattdean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

I use my Dual 2.5 G5 soley for music in my studio. I do, however have it networked to my G4 in my office and to the internet to make it easier to source out info eg: this forum, or to download updates. Other than that it's just music!

#4 mersisblue

mersisblue

Site Supporter

• Site Supporters Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Im a certified audio engineer from cti lake hurst nj
  • Logic User Since:2004
  • Audio Software Used:logic pro 6-9
    nuendo 4 and up though not lately
    digital performer
    pro tools

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

I like to be comfortable when I write Music and surf between songs during song writing etc ....

Im not recording big bands or anything if I was I wouldnt have it like this Id break out the g3 or g4 for an office type computer

#5 cocoroman

cocoroman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Logic User Since:2006

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

No I use my Mac For everything, Inc, Internet, email, Cubase Sx, Logic Pro 7.2 and Etc..
And it works for me.. I don't know what your question for, but I did not buy my Mac (2.5 dual,2.5 Giga Ram Powermac G5 Etc..Just to use for one thing..
As being pro musician,I have to answer all demands of clients formats,so I do profit of my great Mac.. And everybody is happy..
Cheers..
Erdal Kizilcay..
www.erdalkizilcay.com

#6 rlsproductions

rlsproductions

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop & Poontang - in that order!
  • Logic User Since:1999

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

I think that is the ideal setup, but I don't have two Macs jst yet!
Soon this will be possible/ necessary as the more stuff I seem to download, especially apps, the more unstable Logic Pro seems to get, such as with System Overloads when the CPU processor is using less than 1/3 of the allocated power!
I highly recommend not installing apps like Little Snitch, especially, on yr Logic Pro-dedicated Mac.

#7 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

I think that is the ideal setup, but I don't have two Macs jst yet!
Soon this will be possible/ necessary as the more stuff I seem to download, especially apps, the more unstable Logic Pro seems to get, such as with System Overloads when the CPU processor is using less than 1/3 of the allocated power!
I highly recommend not installing apps like Little Snitch, especially,  on yr Logic Pro-dedicated Mac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to digress....But I'm still Lovin Your sig Dawg....it's Blazin!!!

#8 onelouder

onelouder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Logic User Since:1986

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:56 PM

Quad & Logic Pro all the way, as well as email, sofwtare updates etc. Why wouldnt they, when a Quads involved?

#9 skylark

skylark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Logic User Since:2005

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

My intent was to use my latest Mac (DP 2.5GHz) as a strictly Logic machine, however I began adding other applications as situations arose: music player to manage song files, email to zap files to others, browser to access things like these forums, word processor to handle lyrics, outliner to organize large project to-do lists, notation to generate lead sheets, etc..

I have about eight Macs, at least three right here in the studio--- but I found it impractical to go to other machines for many of the tasks mentioned above,

Most importantly, my machine does not seem to suffer any negative effects from having the other applications installed.

#10 prajna

prajna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Electronica, Indian Ragas

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

I use a 17" G4 Powerbook running my email, browsers, etc... and I have it connected to a dual 2.7 G5 via gigabit ethernet. I use a program called "Teleport", so I can use the keyboard and mouse connected to the powerbook for both machines.

I have tried to use the nodes via the powerbook, but it's never as efficient as using the G5 directly.

I highly recommend this "Teleport" software.

#11 gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:audio/video/webspace engineering

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I use mine for everything, I own a 1Ghz 12inch Powerbook, and 1.42Ghz mini. My recently retired G4/400 sits idle until I can reconfigure it as network storage.

The Powerbook is currently my primary music machine, the mini is the secondary, but it also has all my graphics, web development, video editing, DVD authoring, and CD/DVD duplication software.

:cool:

#12 arvidtp

arvidtp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, experimental/computer music, geology, petanque

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

I use my single powerbook for everything, but I have a separate user account with no bells or whistles that I use for music/recording. This way it can be set up (dock, desktop, etc) just for music making, with many of the OS X graphic niceties turned off too. Works pretty well.

#13 Craig Patane

Craig Patane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:all types of Electronic music and jazz

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

I have everything on the same machine...dual 2.0 G5 w/ 3g ram...never any problems.....and I just placed an order for a mac book pro to use as a node and mobile studio.

c.

I use my single powerbook for everything, but I have a separate user account with no bells or whistles that I use for music/recording. This way it can be set up (dock, desktop, etc) just for music making, with many of the OS X graphic niceties turned off too. Works pretty well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#14 Eide

Eide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

Isn't the days when having your daw computer connected to internet was equal as asking for trouble over?

Since i switched to mac (and logic) in 2000 all my computers have been online. Never caused any problems. Before that I had one pc running the daw and one for internet. And the sh*t would crash down from time to time anyway, haha. Couldn't imagine not have my computers online today with all the online upgrades, authorizations and so on...

#15 thothprod

thothprod

Ohh.. I got it now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Isn't the days when having your daw computer connected to internet was equal as asking for trouble over?

Since i switched to mac (and logic) in 2000 all my computers have been online. Never caused any problems. Before that I had one pc running the daw and one for internet. And the sh*t would crash down from time to time anyway, haha. Couldn't imagine not have my computers online today with all the online upgrades, authorizations and so on...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree about the internet connection being less problematic than in by gone days.......
But I have The Creative Suite and Final Cut Express, Toast Titanium...and quite a few more things on my 1.25 DP G4.......and it handles all that pretty good as well as my business orientated software...those things and the Internet seem to me to belong together.....
That's why I am keeping that Quad pristine for My Music....as I said I only hook up the internet connect to update and upgrade.......It works for me real good

#16 markie

markie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:40 AM

Our loft studio has an iMac G5 running Logic and nothing else. The results can be checked out here: www.globo.org.uk or www.myspace.com/weareglobo

We came to Logic from Cubase, and have found it a traumatically steep learning curve. We switched from System 9 to X at the same time. We're getting to grips with Logic, but we're thinking of getting the Macprovideo.com tuition files to jog us along so we can advance our knowledge (and work rate) with less shouting.

#17 nyuchi

nyuchi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Logic User Since:2004

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:56 AM

I was wondering about this question -- if it matters to have the airport turned on while using logic, and if there are any dangers in doing so. Currently I am using Logic more for composition drafts, and less for professional music producing - so my demands are less intensive, in terms of system processing power, etc.

However I am now in France, and there seems to be a popular opinion that there is danger to have your machine connected to the internet while you are working on music and creative projects. I think this is coming mostly from PC users. They seem to think that a person on the internet can hijack your projects - being originally from the US I was suprised to hear this as I never heard this type of concern before. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I can understand why a PC user can be paranoid with so many virus rampant, their systems are much more fragile in that respect.

In the past - I was running Logic on another machine g4 laptop loaded with other audio editing apps, internet, mail, graphics (creative suite) and video editing software. Had no problem with there -- my only problems came from figuring out how to use the software - so if I encountered bugs related to the other stuff, I wasn't able to realize that it was that what was causing it.

thanks for any thought on this.
-m*

#18 tekhed

tekhed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Logic User Since:1997

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

yeah, like most of you, my dual 2.3 G5 is running only Music and internet. It's just to much work to not have an internet connection. It is networked though...

#19 Craig Patane

Craig Patane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:all types of Electronic music and jazz

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Our loft studio has an iMac G5 running Logic and nothing else. The results can be checked out here: www.globo.org.uk or www.myspace.com/weareglobo

We came to Logic from Cubase, and have found it a traumatically steep learning curve. We switched from System 9 to X at the same time. We're getting to grips with Logic, but we're thinking of getting the Macprovideo.com tuition files to jog us along so we can advance our knowledge (and work rate) with less shouting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i bought all of their videos and they are excellent!

money well spent!

#20 tobyond

tobyond

Moderator Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Logic User Since:2000

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

Actually depends which day, my Studio machine is a G5 and some days I use my iBook for all internet/ email stuff, other days I use the G5. Depends on my mood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users